Opportunity Comes A-Knocking
It may be the end of September, but it’s never too early to give thanks.
Things that I’m thankful for as of TODAY.
- The World Needs More Love Letters
- My NEW internship with More Love Letters- Fall Administrative Intern! Stoked!
- Employment from said Starbucks
- Finding a great apartment
- New friends that I’ve made in the past couple of months
- Pumpkin everything
- My customers and regulars
- Finding and adopting my cat
- Friends and family
- Application for leave of absence and scholarship hold accepted (phew!)
- Growing closer with my family
- Getting through the tough days
- Being relatively healthy (minus the recent cold)
Yes! I was notified by More Love Letters founder and heart-base, Hannah Brencher, that I have been selected to be the Fall 2012 Administrative Intern. This is a huge opportunity, and I am so glad that I get to share my passion for this organization in a bigger way. I already have a 4 page Google Doc going with ideas that I have, and I’ve only been around for about two weeks with the organization. Excited much? Yes, much excite.
Take some time today to think about what you’re thankful for. Think of it as a head start on your Thanksgiving gratefulness list! With school starting, new semester jobs, and the overall craze that autumn weather brings, we sometimes forget to be grateful for the things we have when we spend all of our time plowing through the days. Since the cold weather snap, work has been crazy. Talking with a few of my coworkers, I realized that I was so task-oriented that sometimes I would forget the true purpose of my job. Starbucks is so much more than serving coffee quickly and perfectly; it is a base for coffee-shop culture, philanthropy, and customer connection that is on SUCH a different level than most food-retail centers. My customers are wonderful, and I always try to let them know that I am thankful they decided to spend part of their day with me. I enjoy meeting new people, and I believe that anyone can be a soul-friend, you just have to connect with them.
Also SO so thankful to have met all of the wonderful team members with More Love Letters. I have already found a soul-friend in several of the women in the organization, and we fit like a puzzle. Each and every person I encounter through that organization is so inspiring, so positive, and just overall amazing. They have their own stories, their own triumphs and failures alike, but they are on a mission to prove to the world that anyone can make it through anything, with a little encouragement and good penmanship. My findings about the team thusfar:
- Natasha is so talented, focused, and down to earth.
- Sara is so organized and is always excited to dive into new projects, enticing everyone she knows to get involved in the best kind of way.
- Hannah is an amazing, driven individual that overbooks her days into nights just to make sure that everyone feels that extra bit of love in everything she does.
- Pamela is creative, sweet, and ever-optimistic, and I felt that I have learned so much from her beautiful soul already.
- Danielle is so passionate about sharing her story, and plows through any challenge that so much as looks in her direction.
- Becky is so upbeat and always has something to share on Twitter! (I wish I could knit!)
- Leonora always has an encouraging word to give to others, like everything she says is wrapped in a hug.
- Paige is always looking for a way to give back to the universe, and takes care of our animal friends of the world, as well as the people friends!
There are several other girls that I haven’t interacted with yet, and I’m so excited that I can continue getting to know everyone. I really feel like we are beginning to form a family, and we are so lucky to have formed ourselves around a common cause. I haven’t met a group of people that is so inspirational, giving, and unique like this group is. I’m thankful for More Love Letters. In only two weeks of knowing about the organization, my life has changed for the better. I find myself being more empathetic with people I meet each day, and I’m always for simple ways to brighten someone’s day. I had been craving a writing outlet since I graduated from high school, and it has been incredibly freeing to finally have an endless supply of inspiration and reason to write (I don’t get to flaunt my cursive skills in medical school).
I thought that this year was going to be more miserable than it has turned out to be. I was crushed when I took my leave of absence from school, thinking that I would be lost without it. In the two months that I have been out of classes, I have already learned so much from my experiences that could never be taught in a classroom. People have been so loving and giving, and that was exactly what I needed. These past two months have been a giant love letter from the universe, and I couldn’t be more thankful.
I put together a sort of inspirational letter that I would like to share with you, as this was how I was feeling last night:
Turn your Can’ts into Cans and your Dreams into Plans. You are capable of the most amazing things. Turn your dreams into a reality tonight; write down a plan of action, and start as soon as you wake up tomorrow. Step 1: Get Motivated! You can do it!
With love and love letters,